Healthy Sisters is a medical transportation program from Portland's New City Initiative for women who have experienced homelessness. The program is growing and additional female volunteer drivers are needed to help respond to the increase in ridership.
- Fellowship with women who have had different life experiences
- Opportunity to support women in being empowered and improving their own health
A few other important facts about giving rides:
- Drivers in the program set their own schedules and take only the rides that work for them
- There is no obligation to interact with the women outside of giving rides
- Women are referred into the program by a case manager
Have you've ever wondered how the riders feel about the program? Here are a few words they used to describe their experience: “healthy," "respectful," "friends," "outstanding women," "compassionate," "rewarding," "grateful," and "I couldn’t think of better support.”
The riders have these rich experiences thanks to the dedicated volunteer drivers. These amazing women take the time out of their busy lives to support other women in improving their well-being through great conversation and regular medical visits.
If you're interested in becoming a Healthy Sister, please register online to attend the next training on Monday, May 18 at 2pm.