Are you a grandparent or elder relative raising grandchildren? This free retreat will be beneficial to you. The event will take place Friday, May 29, 9am-2:45pm, at the Gethsemane Lutheran Church (11560 SE Market St., Portland, OR 97216). Attendees will:
- Discover valuable contacts and support agencies at our resource fair
- Learn from a local attorney about your legal rights as a family caregiver
- Find the power of support in “The Healing Power of People” workshop
- Hear about available assistance for Healthcare costs and Medicare benefits
- Learn techniques to increase harmony and cooperation from the “Positive Discipline” workshop
- Prepare your high school students for college at the Portland Community College workshop
- Gain tips on how to work with Portland Public Schools in helping your child succeed in school
- Participate in a Tai Chi presentation and learn some moves
To register for the event please contact Jon Molenkamp at 503-988-9405 / email@example.com or Loriann McNeill at 503-988-8210 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please register for the event by May 22, 2015. Funds may be available to pay for childcare. Call for eligibility information.
Also, did you know you may be eligible for financial assistance to pay for summer camps or summer recreation programs for your grandchild/grandchildren. Assistance could be up to $200 per child if eligible. Requirements are:
- you must be a grandparent, or other elder relative
- you must be age 55 or over
- you must be parenting a grandchild 18 or younger
- you must live in Multnomah County
Grandparents who have received family caregiver grants in the past are eligible for an extra grant if the summer activity starts before July 1, 2015. Grants are available for activities starting after July 1, 2015, for grandparents who have not received more than two grants in the past. For more information please contact Loriann McNeill at 503-988-8210 / email@example.com.
For grandparents living outside Multnomah County please call 503-673-2372 for the Family Caregiver Support Program.
This event is sponsored by Multnomah's Family Caregiver Support Program; Aging, Disability, and Veterans Services Division; and the Department of County Human Services.